Self-love and self-care are words that get thrown around so much that they've become buzzwords of sorts.
Yet, they are so critical to living a good life that they don't quite deserve that status.
Caring for yourself sets the tone for what you will tolerate
It sends the message that you are worth loving exactly as you are.
But it's not always easy to put self-love and self-care into practice.
Fortunately, there's something simple you can do.
To care for yourself, sometimes you just need to write for yourself.
It turns out, a particular form of writing is an effective way to practice self-love and self-care.
That type of writing is self-love journaling, which falls under the better-know umbrella term that is self-care
Whatever you call it, finding love for yourself is at the root of it all.
To love yourself is to know and accept yourself.
At Reflection.app, we've learned that one of the best ways to do this is to use writing prompts that help you practice self-love.
Self-love goes beyond positive affirmations or writing a gratitude list containing all the ways you love yourself.
And self-care journaling is not a way to quickly treat yourself before you rush back into all the things you need to do in life.
Both, instead, play off one another and are an ongoing commitment to nurturing who you are at your core, whatever it takes.
The next time you open your journal, or however you sit down to write, consider using one of the prompts below.
We've curated a list of our favorites, and we've even included a few prompts that could become part of your daily routine or evening routine.
If the idea of writing in response to all these prompts gives you anxiety, try this activity: pick one of the prompts at random and write for at least 5 minutes whatever comes to mind.
Because your simple intention to care for yourself is just as important as whatever words come through in your journaling.
Journal Prompts for Self-Love
- What have you done lately just for you?
- What words always make you feel happier?
- What words do you need to hear most right now? Write them down and reflect on what they mean to you.
- How do you practice self-acceptance?
- Describe yourself in five words or fewer.
- Today, I can love my body by...
- I feel most comfortable in my body when...
- What makes you a good friend?
- What is one activity you love to do?
- Who are the people who uplift you the most?
- Who are people you should no longer be spending time with?
- Describe your dream life.
Self-Care Journal Prompts
- List 20 things that bring a smile to your face.
- I feel most confident when...
- I have the most energy when I...
- Where is your favorite place to be? Where do you feel most at peace? (In your home? In your community? In your life?)
- What is inspiring you most right now?
- What are you most proud of accomplishing?
- What is your favorite song? Why not listen to it now?
- What book--or books--changed your life? What did you learn from it/them?
- What do you do to recharge? Can you do that this week?
- Who gives you unconditional love? Who is your best friend? How can you give yourself unconditional love or be your best friend?
- What is the best time of day for you to practice self-care? Pick a time this week you will schedule your self-care. Make a plan for what you will do.
- What are you holding onto that you need to let go of?
- What is one thing you could do to add relaxation to your day?
- What is currently causing you unnecessary anxiety?
- What have been your favorite experiences in life? What can you do to have more of them?
Mental Health Journal Prompts
- My mental health mantra is...
- What do you want your legacy to be?
- If I had to pick a personal slogan, it would be...
- How do you want to be remembered?
- What's your favorite positive emotion? What's the best healthy way you know to access that emotion?
Morning Journaling Routine Prompts
- What are you grateful for?
- What are three things you're grateful for?
- What's your ideal day?
- What would make this day a perfect day?
- Is your morning routine serving you well? What could change?
- What is one daily habit you could start this week?
Evening Journaling Routine Prompts
- What made you smile today?
- What was your biggest accomplishment today?
- One thing I can do better tomorrow is...
- Check in with yourself about your daily habits. What's working? What's not working?
Affirmations: Simple Tools for Self-Care Journaling
- I am strong.
- I love myself.
- I trust my judgment.
- I am a creative person.
- I am a loving person.
- I'm doing the best I can.
- I trust that everything is going to work out for me.
- I am worthy of love.
- I am OK as I am.